Friday, June 27, 2008

CD Shopping Spree

One of the many downsides to the file swapping boom that has rendered music stores and tangible music nearly extinct is the long lost experience of a cd shopping spree. It’s one of life’s true pleasures.

Denver has one of the greatest record stores in the country, Twist & Shout. Even though we’ve lived here for a few years, I only just went there recently for the first time and was instantly sucked in by its atmosphere, I could spend a week in there, not just listening to music, but reading the thousands of music related books they have for sale and perusing the posters and other tchochkies. They also have a huge room full of vinyl. Have I mentioned that it’s a good thing I don’t have a turntable? If I did, I’d blow my wages every payday.

So, I sold some used stuff to them and had some credit I needed to retire, which is always a daunting task. What to get? For some reason I was in the mood for Earth Wind & Fire on this day. I love EWF, but they are never foremost on my radar. I own a handful of their discs, but most were bought used from discount bins.

They were calling me that day and, as luck would have it, several of their older catalog titles were on sale for $5.99, so I walked out with 3 of them. Yes, I could have gotten them for free via the net, but there is no feeling like laying down your own cash to take a chance on some new stuff and support a great artist in the process. And, as with all of their stuff, it did not fail to satisfy.

The taking a chance part is crucial to a good spree. To really get rapped up in the moment and let it overtake you, you gotta give in to hunches. Maybe you only know one song. Maybe a friend recommended it or you read a good review. Maybe it’s old and out of print. Maybe it was playing in the store and you were won over. Or, best of all, you never heard of the band, but were sucked in by the cover. That takes balls. Plus, if it’s good, you’ll love it forever because you’ll feel you discovered it. Treat yourself to some nourishment and drop $50 bucks on some cds sometime. It’s good for the soul.

And, speaking of covers, how dope are these? I couldn’t resist.

1 comment:

C-Pipes said...

Who says tchochkies???